Thursday, December 9, 2010

I sometimes wonder whether I'm kidding myself.

Seriously.  At times I think it would be easier to surrender to the whimsical, to just journey off and explore.  Explore what exactly I don't know?  Not sure it really matters.

Have stopped doing the gratitude list.  I'm still thinking about gratefulness but a fair chunk of that is guilt for not writing it down.  The discipline of coming here to write this is helping to focus me but for most of this week (despite being productively engaged)  I've been feeling flat.  I am telling myself it's ok, and I am sick.  Recovering quickly from the flu but Monday and Tuesday with a head full of snot in front of 15 course participants was not fun.  Hard to marshall the energy it takes to work with a group like that.  I think I did ok though.

Got an easy day tomorrow and I plan to venture out to do a bit of light exercise.

It's been about 3-4 weeks of a pretty solid break from training, relaxed diet and having some drinks.  I'm now starting to feel shit and the shitter I feel the harder it is to think about exercise (here's a perfectionist tendency coming on).  What makes it hard for me is that I know it's going to feel harder than last time and I won't be able to train at as high an intensity.   An optimalist would accept that and go along to 'participate'.  In doing so they begin the reversal of their situation.  Me on the other hand, put it off another day and make it even harder for myself when I do go back.  And feel guilty for delaying.  Crazy shit hey?

Anyone else do that or am I the only completely screwed one?

Ok.  Perception vs Reality.

If what we see is interpreted based on our perspective (values, knowledge, preferences, culture, age etc) then we get to choose how it's going to make us feel.

If I get by a car I'm appreciative it's not a truck and will use the convalesce to write a book.  Perspective.
Different guy, different thinking, same event.  Laments his good fortune, slides into depression doesn't attend physio and severely limits his own recovery.

Get the idea?  Good.  Now I'm an advocate of this.  I truly think it's "The Answer".  But it's got a catch.  While I can force myself to look for another, more positive perspective (or perhaps just a healthier one, it doesn't have to radiate rainbows)... and I do.  I find it difficult to maintain the perspective and not slip back into the original frame of mind.  Question.  How the heck do I do it so it sticks?  You see the benefits of this alternate way of thinking about the event are only available if you genuinely accept the alternate paradigm (way of thinking).  In my experience, rapid and enduring changes of perspective happen in an unexpected, sudden, often painful or embarrassing way.  Like a near death experience, or loss of a loved one.

How do we 'trick' ourselves into accepting the replacement mindset?

Till next time,

Be Happy

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a positive thinker. I generally don't stress about the stuff I can't control. I don't believe we need to "trick" ourselves into accepting a different(and better) way of thinking. I believe we just need to apply it. Eventually it will become a habit/second nature whatever you want to call it. I have been doing the "grateful list" most days and it is helping me to change my mindset. Example - I found myself complaining about one of my parents the other day and i stopped myself and thought for a second and chose instead to be grateful that i still have my parents in my life to complain about, them being alive gives my children grandparents - this is far more important and valuable than the trivial thing i was complaining about. So thank you Sean because I used your "grateful" mindset to turn a negative situation into a positive. I am just your average Jo ,if I can apply your techniques than I expect most others can too. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Before submitting all I ask is that you please be mindful of your fellow readers.