Sunday, January 16, 2011

Help Someone.... it's soooo good for you.

As you know I live in Brisbane which has recently been affected by some of the worst flooding we've ever seen.  The scale and scope of the destruction the flood waters have wrought is something to behold.  Never doubt the awesome power of mother nature.

For a long time I've known a simple truth.  In helping others you also help yourself.  The incredible display of support that the community has displayed towards those affected by the waters has demonstrated this principle for thousands.

My facebook community has been awash with people coordinating volunteer clean up efforts and then sharing their personal experiences of doing so.  A great many have commented on how good it made them feel.



 Right now my business has been significantly affected by the flood resulting in the cancellation of 10 - 20 days of work, so it would be fair to say I have my own problems (even though the flood didn't affect me or my loved ones directly).  It would be easy for me to get upset, frustrated, despondent and depressed and while I'm not proud to admit it, I have experienced each of those emotions over the past few weeks.  Let me tell you, when in that headspace I am not very productive, its easy to see why some people simply give up.  Instead I went and did some volunteering over the weekend (and will probably go again this week).

Anyway, after spending a few hours in flood ravaged homes (completely submerged in the peak of the flood) I didn't spare a single thought for my own situation.  Even better, when I did return to think about my situation and what I needed to do I was in a "can do" headspace.  I am not going to give up.

So, my advice towards feeling happier more of the time...  Find a cause, a group or a person that needs help and offer it.  Volunteers are always needed, not just in times of crisis, and cover everything from nursing sick and injured animals to feeding the homeless and everything else in between.

I know many of my readers have themselves been volunteering over the past few days.  I'd love to hear your experiences.

Till next time,

Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Before submitting all I ask is that you please be mindful of your fellow readers.